perseid meteor shower
'I shot Mr Thompson'- What it was like inside court as Mangione pleaded guilty
'I shot Mr Thompson'- What it was like inside court as Mangione pleaded guilty To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser. After more than a year-and-a-half of intense spectacle and legal wrangling, Luigi Mangione appeared in a federal courtroom in New York on Friday as rumours swirled that he may plead guilty. The 28-year-old, accused of shooting dead UnitedHealthcare chief executive Brian Thompson on a Manhattan street in December 2024, arrived wearing a beige prison uniform with a white T-shirt underneath. His feet were shackled and he held his hands behind his back, although US marshals had not handcuffed him. A crowd of press, supporters of Mangione, observers, and a handful of court staff members who had won a lottery to attend gathered in the packed courtroom.
Two dead after light aircraft crash
Two people have died following a light aircraft crash in north Wales. The aircraft was found in a remote location close to Trawsfynydd, near Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, with the two people on board pronounced dead at the scene, North Wales Police said. The force received reports shortly after 12:00 BST that a light aircraft travelling from an airfield in England had not arrived at Caernarfon Airport as scheduled. Multi-agency air and ground searches were carried out until the aircraft was found. A team of investigators have since been deployed by the Air Accidents Investigations Branch (AAIB).
Count Binface to perform at Fringe after by-election defeat
Novelty politician Count Binface has announced plans to perform a one-off show at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. The self-styled intergalactic space warrior - who finished second to Nigel Farage in the Clacton by-election - is the alter ego of comedian Jon Harvey. His 26.9% share of the vote is thought to be the highest ever for a novelty candidate. The show, called Face of the Establishment, is at the Pleasance on 26 August. Count Binface has previously stood in four parliamentary elections and two London mayoral elections.
Temporary ban on sale of disposable BBQs over wildfire risk
The government has issued a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbeques as they pose a significant risk to the public during the current drought and heatwave conditions, according to advice published online. The Department for Business, Innovation, Science and Trade said the product has been the cause of a number of serious wildfires across the country over the summer months. It added disposable barbecues cannot be considered a safe product in the current conditions and they must not be made available for sale either in store or online at the current time in Great Britain. Prime Minister Andy Burnham advised people to take care, telling the BBC: Britain is a tinderbox right now. Burnham said all retailers will be receiving guidance about the change, which will be kept under review.
Prisoners charged over attack on Sara Sharif's father
Prisoners charged over attack on Sara Sharif's father Two prisoners have been charged with the attempted murder of fellow inmate Urfan Sharif who was jailed for the murder of his daughter Sara Sharif. Steven Sansom, 47, and Adam Watson, 39, have also been charged with other offences relating to the incident in Belmarsh Prison on 1 January 2025, the Crown Prosecution Service said. The men will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a first hearing on 26 August. Sharif, 43, and Sara's stepmother Beinash Batool were sentenced to life imprisonment after being convicted at the Old Bailey of killing Sara at their home in Woking, Surrey. Sharif reportedly suffered cuts to his face during the attack, and received medical treatment at the prison.
Selena Gomez sued for alleged fraud over mental health company
Hollywood actress and singer Selena Gomez is being sued by five investors who backed Wondermind Global, a mental health business she founded with her mother. Shareholders are claiming the pop star failed to fulfil promises that she would be actively building the brand, saying her abject dereliction of her duties has left the company in a state of financial calamity. The lawsuit seeks to recover around $1.2m (£890,000) it claims was invested as well as costs and damages. The BBC has contacted Wondermind and Gomez's representatives for comment. Gomez, who rose to fame as a child actor before moving into pop music, set up the mental health platform five years ago with her mother Mandy Teefey and businesswoman Daniella Pierson.
Person fined after using foghorn to wake sleeping polar bear
A person has been fined for using a foghorn to wake a sleeping polar bear in Norway's Svalbard archipelago, a local official said. The incident happened earlier this month after someone sounded the alarm from onboard a vessel, which was sailing in a fjord in northwestern Svalbard - about 1,000 km (620 miles) from the North Pole. On Thursday, a person - who has not been named - was fined 50,000 kroner (£3,890) over the incident, the governor of the territory confirmed. Under local regulations in the region, it is forbidden to needlessly disturb, attract or pursue a polar bear, which was declared a protected species in Svalbard in 1972. About 250 polar bears were counted in the archipelago during the last scientific estimate, carried out in 2015.
Dating app Bumble divides users by ditching its signature 'women-first' chat rule
Bumble divides users by ditching its signature'women-first' chat rule Dating app Bumble has divided its users by dropping its signature rule which allowed only women to send the first message to a match. When the app launched 2014, founder and boss Whitney Wolfe Herd said it distinguished itself from rivals like Tinder by allowing women to make the first move. But the thing that made Bumble famous will now be ditched following a trial which showed more engagement - and a survey among users which found 66% of women prefer men to send the first message. Reaction across online forums has highlighted a divide among users about whether the update will get more people using Bumble - or if it makes it just like any other dating app. Previously, only same-sex relationships did not have to follow the strict women-first rule.
Harvey Nichols bought by Sports Direct owner
Luxury department store Harvey Nichols has been bought by the owners of Sports Direct, who warn significant restructuring will be needed to ensure the 200-year-old business remains sustainable. Mike Ashley's Frasers Group will take control of the Harvey Nichols stores, including its flagship in Knightsbridge, as well as the international franchise. The department store was immortalised in BBC sitcom Absolutely Fabulous, but had faced challenges in recent years. The firm had appointed administrators in June. Frasers Group's chief executive Michael Murray called the store a British institution with significant potential but added clear meaningful change is needed.
The Perseid meteor shower peaks this week: Heres how to see it
Creator Hub Versus Look Up Mashable's Best: E-readers, robovacs, laptops, earbuds, smart home and more Say More Gift Ideas For Everyone On Your List Mashable Selects Switch Off Trending Now Safety Net In My Bag VidCon with Mashable All Series The Perseid meteor shower peaks this week: Here's how to see it The meteor shower has been active all month, but this week is your best chance to see it. Lois Mackenzie is a freelance reporter at Mashable. Over the years she has written for many publications, covering everything from the local news to the best pair of running shoes. You can find bylines in publications including Fit&Well, Metro, and Coach magazine, usually covering deals on everything from earbuds to TVs, or guides on how to beat your half marathon time. Throughout most of July and the start of August, the Perseid meteor shower has been lighting up our skies.